The On The Side community has been pretty active this month with lots of blog posts and links to pages on personal sites which cover off ongoing stats for things like health and fitness, films and podcasts. While I debate whether to set up my own dedicated stats page, I thought I'd start logging stuff at least and figure out what to do with the data later on. For now, I'll just do a monthly round-up post:
Podcasts: 31 episodes, 38 hours
Below is a league table showing the number of episodes I listened to. The top 3 spots are likely to never change unless I start listening to a daily podcast of some sort. Parenting Hell put 2 episodes per week and I never miss one so that's almost always going to claim to top spot.
|Podcast||Number of episodes played|
|Awesome Comics Podcast||5|
|Creative Pep Talk Podcast||4|
|Chris DeMakes a Podcast||3|
|The Curious Cases of Rutherford and Fry||3|
|You are a Storyteller||3|
|Beyond the Screenplay||2|
|Adam Buxton Podcast||1|
|Shot x Shot||1|
|The Diary of a CEO with Steven Bartlett||1|
|The Q&A with Jeff Goldsmith||1|
For future months, I might forgo the league table and maybe just post a few notable episodes I enjoyed. For January, we have:
- Awesome Comics Podcast - 394: What does AI mean for comics?
- The Q&A with Jeff Goldsmith - Glass Onion Q&A - Rian Johnson
- The Curious Cases of Rutherford and Fry - The Puzzle of the Pyramids
- Creative Pep Talk Podcast - 396: The 5 Flavors of Creativity & How Knowing Yours Can Reignite Your Spark
- You are a Storyteller - The Golden Theme
- Beyond the Screenplay - 150: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (YouTube link but they do have an audio-only podcast)
- You are a Storyteller - Masters of the Craft: Ronnie del Carmen on Producing Empathetic Work
Films: 7 watched, 13 hours
This number seems a bit lower than what I'd have expected, lots of weekends doing things with the kids probably accounts for it. Sometimes, I'll go through a few films in a single weekend but clearly not this month. Anyway, here's what I've watched:
- Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery
- The Pirates! In an Adventure with Scientists!
- Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs
- Spider-Man: Far From Home
- Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings
- Deadpool 2
- Into the Deep: The Submarine Murder Case
I'm not logging TV because it's just too sporadic and if I'm 100% honest, I can't be arsed working it out but I've been re-watching Homeland recently which I'll finish in February. I'm slowly working my way through Modern Family on Disney+ and at the weekend, I started re-watching Gravity Falls with the kids, which is one of the best cartoons ever made (in my humble opinion).
Books: 4 read
I need to up my reading sessions if I'm to hit my 50 book goal this year, at this rate I'll fall just shy. I've got 2 books on the go currently, Long Gone Done: The Whole Thing by The Etherington Brothers and Hellboy omnibus 1: Seed of Destruction. Neither are small books in terms of comics at 253 and 368 pages, respectively but both are quite dense in different ways so I'm taking my time. I should get them both finished in February. After that, I think I'll stick to finishing one book before starting another. The books I've actually finished are:
- Asterix Omnibus 1
- Jonna and the Unpossible Monsters vol. 1
- Jonna and the Unpossible Monsters vol. 2
- I Hate Fairyland #2
- I Hate Fairyland #3
The last 2, I Hate Fairyland, are single issues so they don't count towards my reading goal but I'm logging them anyway so I can keep track of everything I'm reading.